Job Title: Pen Tester
Department: Professional Services
Reports to: VP – Professional Services
Owl Cyber Defense is a leader and trusted partner in cyber security. We deliver solutions that protect and connect the world’s most critical networks. Owl’s product lines of cross domain, data diode, and portable media solutions provide the strongest security checkpoints for threat prevention and secure data availability. Our in-depth expertise in security engineering at the operating system level enables us to help government and commercial customers meet ever-evolving cyber security threats.
Do you like solving difficult systems security problems, hacking networks and devices, creating exploits, working at the OS level? Do you like competing in Attack/Defense or Jeopardy-style CTFs? Did you get a CEH/PenTest+/OSCP because it’s your passion? You are or want to become a SME? Do you want to make a difference to our national security?
Owl Cyber Defense is looking for a Penetration Tester who has experience working in the full scope of network, operating system and application security analysis and evaluation. We are looking for someone who has a passion for this type of work, perhaps demonstrated by their own inventory of hacking tools and equipment or obsession with figuring out how a system works to create an exploit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform analysis, penetration testing, reverse engineering and exploit development in our lab.
- Actively analyze security functions for design weaknesses, technical flaws and system vulnerabilities.
- Research new threats, attack vectors and risks and apply your hacking skills, creativity and imagination to develop and execute your own exploits on various systems.
- Try and break devices and get at the protected data.
- Documenting findings and create recommendations for improved security.
- Make suggestions to improve the lab environment, process, tools, and procedures.
- Train and mentor other engineers.
- Perform Internal Research and Develop Projects.
- Participate in conferences (e.g. DEFCON, Recon, B-Sides) and seminars.
Job Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- BS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field.
- Candidates must be able to obtain and maintain a background investigation.
We hope you have a background that includes many of these areas:
- Computer architecture, system internals and operating systems
- Knowledge of general security principles, protocols, and infrastructures.
- Development of network or OS exploits (e.g. Wireshark, tcpdump, ColaSoft, Scapy).
- Usage and development of penetration tools (e.g., SysInternals, nmap, nikto, Metasploit).
- Heavy background or interest in research.
- Team Leadership, mentoring, test and evaluation leadership.
- Analysis, testing, and debugging skills (e.g. Ghidra, jadx-gui, gdb)
- Reverse Engineering various targets (e.g., binaries, cryptographic functionality, mobile applications).
About Owl Cyber Defense Solutions, LLC
- Knowledge of Linux/UNIX operating systems at all layers (boot, kernel space, user space).
- Deep knowledge of network security issues.
- Figuring out what to do after you run the tools and analyze the results.
- High level of personal organization, persistence, and attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic, self-starter, able to work independently and willing to take on new challenges - to roll up your sleeves and do what you need to do to solve problems.
- CEH, PenTest+, or OSCP Certification.
- Android/iOS jailbreak and security evaluation would be awesome.
Owl Cyber Defense Solutions, LLC
is a fast-growing cybersecurity solutions company, holding a firm leadership position in network security and secure information transfer. It is a privately-owned US company with offices in Columbia, MD and Danbury, CT. For more information, see http://www.owlcyberdefense.com
Owl Cyber Defense is Proud to be an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer.